Friday, April 18, 2008

Days Gone By.....
Time goes by second by second and it only leaves memories. I have experienced a lot of memories this week. Memories shared by my Dad, memories shared by my Aunt, and those of my own. Today is tomorrows memory. Coming from someone who can barely remember what I ate for breakfast, I can honestly say memories are precious. History is more important to me every day, as I too become history. I don't want my grandchildrens' children to wonder about their history. I want to do all I can to preserve memories for them. I want them to get a glimpse of who I am, where I came from, and in turn a little of who they are. I have discovered a little of who I am by discovering more of my family history. Sometimes it may not be what you want to hear. Sometimes the findings are bittersweet to say the least. Sometimes knowing hurts as much as not knowing. Ignorance, however, is not bliss. It is ignorance, nothing more, nothing less. When we are gone, what legacy have we left? What stories will they tell about us? I shudder to think what my kids will say sometimes. I can only hope there will be more good stories than bad. Maybe, they will read something, here or there, that Nana wrote, or a picture that Nana took. Just a glimpse of me, my family, my life, my beliefs. We are not responable for the "sins of our fathers", nor grandfathers, grandmothers, parents, and so on. Ultimately we are only responsible for ourselves. What we are responsable for is the impact we make on others. Our legacy is our own. We make it day by day. I have made many mistakes in my life, and will continue to make mistakes, as the general condition of human nature dictates. I will however try to leave the space I have occupied, a little more hopeful, a little more beautiful, a little happier, and a whole lot more loved. We are only here for a little while. Loving is a lot easier than hating. I hope everyone who reads these words today, will have a little more happiness, see a little more beauty in their world, and have a lot more love.
Love to All
MaMaG

No comments: