Tuesday, March 25, 2008

This is a paper I prepared for a Womens Group Presentation,
I found alot of comfort in the scripture and thoughts here.

The Breath of Life

By Regina Rosser

Prayer Praise and Glory to the Lord

Scripture Reading:

All Scriptures from the King James Bible:

  • Ge 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
I sat down at the computer this morning, opened up my interactive Bible, and decided I would write a "sermon", (I prefer to call a message). I prayed to the Lord to give me words that would glorify him. I had in my mind many different topics. I opened up my real-player library and clicked on a song. I love to listen to contemporary Christian music when I am on the computer. I opened up my word pro and typed in the title "message #1". That didn't sound right. I again prayed, "Lord, give me your words, words that would Glorify you". At almost the exact same time, the song, "This Fragile Breath", began to play.

I began to think about all the last breaths I have seen in my lifetime. I will never forget the first time I saw someone take their last breath. Frankly, I will never forget any of the times I watched someone take their last breath, and there have been many. Then I thought how wonderful it was to see a baby take its first breath. And again, I have seen a few. I was blessed to be in the room when my oldest grandson took his first breath. He was so beautiful and new, so innocent and perfect. Words can't describe the love and joy I felt. It was at this moment I think I really appreciated how "fragile" and precious a breath is. I remember wondering what kind of man my grandson would grow up to be. I prayed to the Lord that day, that he would grow up to be strong man that would walk in the way of the Lord. He who gave us breath, wants us to walk in his way too.

"breath of life" The Bible tells us that The Lord formed man from dust and breathed in his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul. I can only imagine the joy he felt watching Adams' first breath; creating a "soul" in his own image, so perfect and clean, so innocent and new. I know all who hear these words, either have children or have parents. Those who have children, think back to when your child took their first breath; when a new soul came into the world that you were responsible for creating. Remember the love you felt? I want you to know today, that the Father in heaven loves us more than that, more than our minds can comprehend. He gave us the breath of life. I have witnessed man try to give the breath of life many times. We use mouth to mouth recesitation, respirators and other artificial means to breath for people. These means often restore life to the physical body, and sometimes they don't. God has given men ever growing books of knowledge and power to heal the human body. I am here to tell you today, that only the knowledge from the Holy Bible, the power of The Holy Spirit, the love of Jesus Christ, and the breath of life given from the Lord, will revive a soul.

What He Gave us with his Breath

"...a living soul." There has been a centuries old, ongoing hunt for the "soul". Being in the medical profession, I have seen many people opened up on operating tables, from head to toe, without ever seeing physical evidence of the soul. I have read more anatomy and physiology books than I care to think about. No where have I seen mention of the soul. So what is the soul and where is it? Well the dictionary gives it this definition: soul (s½l) n 2. The spiritual nature of human beings, regarded as immortal, separable from the body at death, and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state. 6. The central or integral part; the vital core.

Men have written books on their theories of where the soul resides. Scholars have debated it. Like the dictionary says, I believe it is the vital core of a human being. Otherwise we would have remained dust. The soul is our spiritual nature, immortal, and does separate from the body at death. It is susceptible to great happiness or misery. There is only one part of this definition in which I disagree. Its the part that says "in a future state". I believe our souls can experience great happiness or great misery, right now, depending on the choices we make. Now that we have defined the Soul. Where is it? Still no one has found it? I think I know where it is. I think it is the place in the middle of your chest that sinks in when you feel the deepest of emotions. It's where you feel it, when you get that "gut feeling", or when the "hair on the back of your neck stands up". I think it's our soul that knows we are not alone, when there is no one around. I believe the soul is where the spirit of the Lord resides; in all of us. Its where his breath stayed when he blew in Adams nostrils. I believe his love lives in our souls and wouldn't that make it the "cental or integral part; the vital core."? Could any of us live without love; the love of our families, the love of our friends?

"Love" Joh 15:11 "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you."

Hearing or reading the words of Jesus Christ, always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. His words touch my soul, the place I believe we store our love. The ministry of Jesus was based solely on the concept of love. He taught of love, and most importantly he showed it to everyone he encountered. He was the voice of truth, and the breath of life to all those who heard him and believed. Almost two thousand years have passed and Jesus' teachings are still being heard all over the world. Still it seems sometimes, the world now, just like then, just doesn't get it. Love is not such a hard concept to understand. The dictionary says: love (l¾v) n. 1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

I really like the last part of that definition; "a sense of underlying oneness." Jesus fulfilled the ultimate act of love through his life, death and resurrection. His love showed us an example of oneness to guide our lives, the oneness of the Father, the son and the Holy Ghost. He breathes life giving love into our souls if we accept it freely.

After the resurrection Jesus appeared to the disciples and spoke these words: Joh 20:21 ... Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost...

He breathed on them and they received the Holy Ghost, the breath of life. This breath that he gave to his people was fragile and powerful at the same time. His power is supreme. It is how we handle his gift of life, that makes it fragile. If we take this fragile breath deep inside us, to that vital core, shield it, grow it, love it, and worship it will sustain us. It will give us great joy. It will fill our souls. As the Body of Christ, we must share this breath, and joy, with all that will listen and hear.

Have you allowed Jesus to share his love, his oneness, to fill your soul with the breath of life?

Have you shared his breath of life with anyone today?

No comments: